DevCon Cloud Camp was fun!

Aside for being so technical here in my blog, I actually write life experiences too. And what made me write this post is because I want to express how great my experience was in the DevCon Cloud Camp, that happened yesterday, December 04, 2010 @ Draft Pick Sports Bar and Grill.

For my twenty years of existence and in my IT Life, I haven't been in such a wonderful/extravagant(all the synonymous words that can be used to describe it) event until yesterday.

DevCon Cloud Camp is one of a kind. I was actually a volunteer just yesterday and it was amazing, fun, and exciting.

The event is very informative. All the speakers from Morph labs and Microsoft are really prepared for the camp's main purpose--the discussion about Cloud Computing!



The first talk was about Amazon ec2 + MCloud which was delivered to us by a guy named sir Guy. He is a foreign national that went to this DevCon event to discuss their product.

The participants were really active. They listened very carefully and after the discussion they asked very good questions that made our speakers think and really smile(they're amused!).

The second talk was delivered to us by Sir Allan, an MVP of Microsoft. He talked about Microsoft Azure and its features, how to use it and everything with the help of Angela, a Microsoft Intern.

It was a really good discussion.

Then we had our first batch of snacks and free drinks, which was not anticipated by most of the participants. I can see that they were having fun in the event. Their interest lasted until hackathon-the much awaited event.

There were live demonstrations on how to set-up your account, establish your cloud and etc. Sir Mark demonstrated us some samples of clouds in using the MCloud. Both, Azure and MCloud is easy to use and easy to set-up. As an addition, Miss Zandra, a Microsoft Technology Evangelist discussed about Microsoft Web Platform. We actually did this for the hackathon. We were tasked to build a drupal website and establish it in the cloud using Azure or MCloud. The participants was actually divided into four teams. After that we showcased each teams output. Team one, who used MCloud won the prize 10,000 php and the second placer was Team 2 who won 5,000 php. How about the other teams? No one went home as losers, the teams three and four won a 50% Discount for certification exams in Microsoft. =)

There were quite a number of participants. Fourty-three 43 participants I guess. Most of them are students from various schools such as Ateneo, UIC, and USEP. There were also professionals that joined the event.

At 9:00pm the Cloud Camp concluded. The participants went home and me and the other DevCon volunteers were invited to Farfallah, together with Maam Diane, and the people from Morph labs for the afterparty.

I had so much fun as a volunteer and at the same time a participant of hackathon. I treasure these kinds of memories in my life. =) Microsoft gave us free jackets and t-shirts. I also had my first DevCon shirt!

I will always join DevCon events.

Leave a Reply